My Experience to Run for Judge of the 45th District Court
JOSEPH P. APPELT
Admitted in: State of Texas, May 6, 1994; State Bar No. 00789809.
Licensed in the U.S. Court Western District of Texas, December 2008.
Law Office of Joseph P. Appelt, San Antonio, Texas; Sole Practitioner – Perform all duties associated with operating a law office and the general practice of law. 1994 – Present
- Criminal: Provide representation to individuals charged with misdemeanor offenses including, but not limited to, assault, drug possession, DWI and theft. Represent individuals charged by both indictment and information with felony offenses including, but not limited to, assault, drug possession, DWI, deadly conduct, sexual assault, forgery and organized criminal activity. Perform all tasks necessary for litigating both misdemeanor and felony cases including, but not limited to, draft motions, argue motions, legal research, jury selection and trial to verdict.
- Family: Provide representation for individuals in all aspects of family law matters. Litigate all types of family issues including child custody cases and complex property issues. Draft all documents necessary for the litigation of divorce, modification, enforcement, child support, child custody, property division, parental rights, grandparent rights and alimony issues. Prepare all closing documents required upon finalizing family law matters including real estate documents, income withholding documents for child support and alimony, and Qualified Domestic Relations Orders for the division of retirement and pension plans.
- DTPA: Research and analyze validity of claims of malfeasance asserted by consumers. Draft demand letters, pleadings, discovery and all other documents necessary to prosecute and defend consumer law actions.
- Injury: Prosecute valid claims of persons injured by the negligence of others. Also provide representation for individuals accused of harming individuals either intentionally or negligently. Investigate and research the facts, prepare documents and pleadings associated with litigating the case as necessary.
- Wills and Probate: Prepare wills and other estate planning documents. Draft, file and appear as necessary in Probate Court to probate estates.
- Contracts: Prepare and review contracts of all types including asset purchase agreements, employment contracts, non-compete agreements, residential leases, commercial leases and litigate as necessary.
- Appellate: Research legal issues, draft briefs as necessary and argue appeals to county courts, the 4th Court of Appeals, the 8th Court of Appeals and the Supreme Court of Texas.
- Federal: Licensed in the Western District of Texas – December 2008.
Bexar County District Attorney, San Antonio, Texas; Intern, Felony Intake and Grand Jury – 1992 – 1994
- Prepared and presented cases to the grand jury for indictment. Indicted more than 300 felony cases. Researched legal issues and prepared legal memos.
Juris Doctor awarded May 1994, St. Mary’s University School of Law, San Antonio, Texas.
Bachelor of Business Administration – Accounting awarded May 1987, University of Texas at San Antonio, San Antonio, Texas.
- Volunteer – Community Justice Program: Pro Bono family law cases (usually divorces)
- Volunteer/participant – fundraiser for Big Brothers and Big Sisters Program
- Volunteer/participant – fundraiser for Special Olympics
- Volunteer – National Mock Trial Competition: Judge
- Volunteer -Assistant Coach with CYO T-Ball
- Member – National Rifle Association
- Member – Antonian Alumni Association
- Member – Alamo Pachyderm Club
- Member – San Antonio Bar Association